ECONOMICAL TEST BLOG

Coordinator
May 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

The ability to thoroughly and economically test software work-products at all levels is a necessary requirement of the error-free software development process.  The Programmable Software Development Environment has a Monte-Carlo (random generator) based test system which is capable of satisfying this requirement.

Historically, this tool has been very difficult to set up and hence has only been experimentally use. Recently, a library of software parts has been developed which greatly simplifies its use. As a consequence, it is being successfully used in the checkout and formal testing required in my portable software development research and development activity.

This blog will be used to focus upon on my test related research and development efforts.

Coordinator
May 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM

The ability to thoroughly and economically test software work-products at all levels is a necessary requirement of the error-free software development process.  The Programmable Software Development Environment has a Monte-Carlo (random generator) based test system which is capable of satisfying this requirement.

Historically, this tool has been very difficult to set up and hence has only been experimentally use. Recently, a library of software parts has been developed which greatly simplifies its use. As a consequence, it is being successfully used in the checkout and formal testing required in my portable software development research and development activity.

This blog will be used to focus upon on my test related research and development efforts.

MONDAY: One of my minor project is the development of a cryptographic software parts library for securing of various text files. A requirement of this cryptographic software parts library is to reliably error-out if the wrong key was used during decryption. The desire to thoroughly test this library caused me to seriously update the concept.

TUESDAY: The revised version of the cryptographic software parts library has been prepared and is ready for a comprehensive test.

THURSDAY: The revised version of the cryptographic software parts library has been functionally tested.  The testing process will continue.

Coordinator
May 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM

SATURDAY: The formal tests of the cryptographic software parts library has been completed.  This library will be used in several applications.

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM

FRIDAY: The single line macro-loading local-script (script defined in the same task as it is executed) software parts of the script software parts library have been modified and formally tested. These commands load the macro name and up to four arguments into a specified local script so that they will be executed when the script is executed. The formal testing of the single line macro-loading global (capable of being executed in a later task than defined) is next.

SATURDAY: The single line macro-loading global-script (capable of being executed in a later task than defined) software parts of the script software parts library have been modified and formally tested. The formal testing of multi-line equivalent macro-loading software parts is next.  These parts enable macros with more than four arguments to be loaded into a script.

MONDAY: The formal testing of both the global and local multi-line equivalent macro-loading software parts has been successfully completed. I believe that the corrections required for the testing of the common-include software parts library has been accomplished.  My next step is to verify my assessment and to update the status of the script software parts library relative to the manual upgrade.

TUESDAY: A script is capable of calling another script. The software parts library associated with manual development uses this script calling capability. The formal testing of this capability has been started. An error reporting deficiency has already been detected and will be corrected.

WEDNESDAY: A local script only exists in the task in which it was created. It is discarded when this task is complete. A global script that calls a local script in a particular task will fail to execute in a subsequent task.  The associated error is not properly reported. The necessary corrections will be made next.

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM

FRIDAY: A local script only exists in the task in which it was created. It is discarded when this task is complete. A global script that calls a local script in a particular task will fail to execute in a subsequent task.  The associated error is now properly reported. The single line this script calling capability for global and local scripts has now been sufficiently tested that it can been used for manual development.

SATURDAY: To determine what additional changes are needed to the script software parts library, I need to answer the question: How much is the script going to simulate a macro?  In the past, I made a limited effort. Maybe a complete simulation is needed. I will re-examine this question

MONDAY: To make the script simulate a macro, I will need to improve the script calling arguments and return capabilities, and both the automatic and global data storage. I have tentatively decided to proceed with the update.  The script calling arguments will be first. The planned improvement will include a parameter capability for the _RUN_SCRIPT macro.